Residential Recycling Service
Recycling service is provided in partnership with the City of El Cerrito.
The City of El Cerrito provides recycling collection and processing of your recyclables from your gray cart to residential customers who live within the city limits.
Residential recycling is collected weekly from the curbside on the same day as garbage collection from East Bay Sanitary.
- Put all your recyclables (empty, clean & dry) into your gray cart.
- Do not overfill; make sure that the lid closes securely when placed at the curb for collection.
- Please place recycling carts on the street with the wheels against the curb the night before or by 6 a.m. on your collection day. Leave 2 feet between carts and place them 4 feet from cars.
- Materials placed outside of the recycling cart will not be picked up.
- Recycling is available in 64-gallon carts only. For more information on the carts and collection rules, visit the Residential Services page.
3 Easy Steps to Prepare Recyclables
To make sure that your recyclables are ready for recycling, please be sure they are:
Contamination is the term used to describe anything that renders your recycled items non-recyclable. Besides ruining good material, contamination increases labor costs at processing plants as workers try to separate contaminated material from good material.
Contamination typically occurs when:
- Non-recyclable items are put in collection cart.
- Food waste or liquids are left on recyclables put in collection cart.
- Bags of recyclables are dropped into carts rather than dumping the recyclables in loose. Bags are NOT torn open at the processing plants so the bag and all its contents end up in the trash.
Common Recycling Contaminants
- Plastic bags and Packaging (should go into trash)
- Garbage bags (only garbage goes into garbage bags, do not bag your recyclables)
- E-Waste/Batteries (Hazardous Wastes)
- Scrap Metal & Hangers (should go into trash)
- Food (should go into your green waste cart)
- Styrofoam (should go into trash)
- Diapers (should go into trash)
- Clothing (donate or goes into trash)