Service is provided in partnership with the City of El Cerrito.
- The City of El Cerrito provides the recycling collection and processing.
- East Bay Sanitary Company provides the garbage/landfill and green waste/food scraps collection services.
El Cerrito City Ordinance requires that all occupied properties must subscribe to weekly solid waste collection service. Please note that although service may be ordered and paid for by a household tenant, it is the owner of the property that is ultimately liable for the cost of service if the tenant, lessee, or occupant does not pay or is unable to pay the bill in a timely manner.
- EBS provides multifamily garbage collection up to 6 days a week. Container sizes include 20, 35 and 64-gallon carts as well as 1 and 2 cubic yard bins for rear load collection. Service can be tailored to our multifamily customer’s specific needs with any number and combination of container sizes as well as collection from 1 to 6 times per week (excluding Sundays).
- GREEN WASTE?
- The City of El Cerrito provides recycling services to multi-unit housing accounts up to three (3) times per week on specific collection days. To find out the collection day for your apartment complex, or to set up recycling services, please contact us at 510.215.4350.
Free Recycling Consultation
The City of El Cerrito offers free consultations to help multifamily dwellings recycle right.
Contact the City directly to set up and optimize your service.
Multifamily Cart & Bin Options
East Bay Sanitary provides many container options for multifamily customers. Choices include carts, dumpsters, and roll-off bins. Unsure of what size or how many times per week you need to meet your solid waste needs? Please contact East Bay Sanitary for green waste and garbage services and the City of El Cerrito’s Recycling Center for recycling services.
When you set up service, a customer service representative will review the containers and size options with you to help you select the appropriate size garbage/landfill cart for your needs.
The following monthly rates for multifamily service reflect one (1) pickup per week. To determine the monthly rate for additional weekly pickups, simply multiply the rate by the number of pickups you require weekly.
|Commercial Garbage Bins||Rate||IWM||Rental||Total|
|Green Waste/Food Scrap Carts|
Cart Set-out Rules
East Bay Sanitary uses fully automated trucks to help improve collection efficiency and reduce costs. These trucks have a mechanical arm that reaches out and wraps around the carts them up, and empties the cart's content into the top of the truck. Because of this, it is essential they are placed out for collection correctly.
- Please place recycling carts on the street with the wheels against the curb the night before or by 6 a.m. on your collection day. Carts should not be angled.
- Leave 2 feet between carts and place them 4 feet from cars, power poles, mail boxes, trees or other objects.
- The area should be free of overhead branches and /or power lines.
- Materials placed outside of the recycling cart will not be picked up.
- Do not overfill carts.
- Lids must close completely to minimize spillage during the emptying process. Please remember that any materials extending beyond the rim of any cart will be subject to an extra charge or your cart not being picked up.
- Do not compact any waste into carts. Contents must be able to fall freely from cart when it is turned upside down.
- Bag all cold ashes (no hot ashes please!), kitty litter, sawdust, and Styrofoam before placing in the cart.
- Carts that are not set out on time or customers that want to skip their collection are not eligible for credit.
- Remove your carts from the street by 7:00 p.m. on your collection day to keep your neighbors happy and your community attractive.
Because collection is provided by two entities, all services may not be collected on the same day each week. Your collection days will be reviewed with you by the customer service representative when you set up services.
Did we miss collecting your cart(s) or bin(s) or did you forget to set them out?
- If our driver skips collection, please call our office. If your miss is discovered after office hours, please leave a message on our 24-hour voice mail system at 510.237.4321 so we can send the driver back the following morning.
- If you accidentally forgot to set-out your cart(s), please call our office hours and ask for driver to take an extra bag the next pick-up day equal to your missed collection without charge.
- If you cannot wait until the next week to set-out extra garbage and/or yard waste, we can go back and empty the cart(s) for an additional $25 per cart.
Extra Garbage/Yard Waste
If you have extra garbage or green waste that does not fit inside your cart or bin, you must call East Bay Sanitary office at least one (1) business day before your collection day and before 2:00 p. m.
- There is a charge for extra garbage or green waste.
- Extra yard waste must be placed in special recyclable yard waste paper bags that can be purchased at your local hardware store. You may also use a reusable container that can be safely dumped and placed back at the curb.
- YARD WASTE WILL NOT BE TAKEN IN PLASTIC BAGS!
- Extra garbage should be bagged tightly and or placed a reusable container that can be safely dumped and placed back at the curb.
- Please keep yard waste bags and reusable containers to a 30lb weight limit.
On occasion, our driver might tag your cart when a can is overloaded and you will be charged for the extra garbage or green waste even though an order was not called in.